Wednesday, October 27, 2010

After the storm

The wind is still blowing............ but the skies look so much calmer now. Yesterday around 2 p.m. a part of a tree came down on our electric wires and we were without electricity. I called in to Consumer Energy to let them know.
About an hour later a man came to look things over. He left again. Later (after dark) a truck with 2 men came to fix the problem. They found out they did not have the wire they needed. So they left again and came back an hour later with the right equipment to fix the problem. So at 9:30 we had electric again. (I had to smile - wouldn't you think they would bring wire with them? That was the problem.) Oh well, what do I know!
We went out for dinner; then came home and lite the candles and kerosene lamp and played "little house on the prairie" until we had lights again. I had a good mystery book to read so it didn't bother me we had no TV or radio to listen too. However, I would not want to live without electricity for very long.

5 comments:

Mari said...

It really is funny they didn't bring wire with them. It seems kind of obvious! I don't mind being without electricity for a little while either, but not long!

Glenda said...

Sounds like you had a cozy night despite the storm! We've lit kerosene lamps during power outages, too! I have my mother's old lamp and one she gave me. But I sure enjoy electricity and all the conveniences it provides!

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

We had horrible storms roll through here yesterday! Glad you were able to have a cozy night and the Little House Books are my favorite. I re-read them every winter!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie...such a sweet and cosy way to spend some time...just not for too long! Hugs ♥ Teri

Cherdecor said...

I heard about the storms in the midwest. They were pretty bad.

I had to laugh a little about the electric company who doesn't carry wire with them. Maybe they were getting paid overtime because of the storm. Oh well.....